Home | Diaries | Discussion | Chat | Tips | FAQ | Links | Donations | Search | How to change your profile
www.MyBrokenLeg.com

List all messages  |  Search this forum  |  Log In 

Re: Newbie: struggling with a broken leg and the cast itís been put in.
missolmoreno    10:44pm Oct 19 2019

hey Stephen, I'm Sara, 31y old from London. Welcome to this @!#$ club, the broken leg one I meant. When I couldn't bend my knee I had to raised one side of my hip to be able to walk in crutches. I don't know how fit you are, but the crutches gets easier, on week 6 I was an expert and developed muscle in my arms! Is like everything in life, the more you do, the easier it gets. If you had a tibial plateau fracture you have to heal the shin bone and that's why you can't bend your knee. Ask next week if you can have a knee brace, is much better than the cast and your recovery is gonna get less painful. To take shower, first buy in amazon a cast waterproof protection is like 10 pounds, and second you should call social services and get your home adapt, because you gonna need it for the next 3 month. I done it after I came out from hospital and they adapted my shower and toilet for free, they sent me carers and a weekly cleaner, I called on a friday and I had everything sort out on saturday, I was very shocked.
I'm going towards month 4 and still healing, everyone is different but expect minimum 6 weeks of chilling. I recommend you to buy 'osteocare' to help you speed up your recovery and drink and eat a lot of protein, no smoking, no drinking, and if you can, also take collagen. For the swelling, elevate your foot higher than your heart, expect the swelling for a minimum 6 weeks. I'm gonna be on week 15 and my one still swelling slightly.

All the best on this awful journey, be patient, and keep yourself busy, Netflix, books, ps4, study online, do excercise like upper body workout... anything.. otherwise you will get mad.. Take care of yourself and be very very patient. Keep us updated xx

Sara

27th of June, tibial plateau fracture
1st of July, over 4h surgery, 2 metal plates, over 13 screws
15th August, partial weight bearing 25%
10th October, full weight bearing indoors

Post a follow-up comment   Newer messages  |  Older messages 

Newbie: struggling with a broken leg and the cast itís been put in.  new
Stephen T  3:36pm Oct 19 2019
 Re: Newbie: struggling with a broken leg and the cast itís been put in.  new
missolmoreno  10:44pm Oct 19 2019
Stephen T  9:38am Oct 20 2019
Genez  12:55pm Oct 20 2019
Debbie_Co  10:15pm Oct 20 2019
Annette T  6:20am Oct 21 2019
Marina  2:48am Oct 24 2019

Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
www.MyBrokenLeg.com
21 November 2019