Home | Diaries | Discussion | Chat | Tips | FAQ | Links | Donations | Search | How to change your profile
www.MyBrokenLeg.com

List all messages  |  Search this forum  |  Log In 

Re: Newbie: struggling with a broken leg and the cast itís been put in.
Annette T    6:20am Oct 21 2019

Hi Stephen,

Very sorry to hear about your injury. This is a great support group so feel free to write and vent whenever necessary.

I broke my tib/fib back in June and my first OS went with the conservative route and said that my bones should heal without surgery. I was in a cast for 12 weeks with no evidence of bone healing. At 12 weeks I was given a bone stimulator (which by the way my second OS doctor said at 12 weeks they don't really work...) and at 15 weeks there was still no evidence of callus formation. I went and got a second opinion because I felt like the first doctor was just stringing me along all the while I was NWB.
I am scheduled for surgery on November 14th. I tried to let my body heal the bones without surgery but it didn't work. Do I wish I hadn't gone all those weeks doing nothing and was able to have surgery sooner., yes. My breaks are pretty straightforward as well but not healing. The second OS doctor said the tibia is the worst bone in the body to break and the slowest to heal because of poor blood circulation.

Good luck to you on this journey. The reason the doctor might chose a long leg cast over the knee is to ensure immobility. In order for the bones to heal they can't move and if you don't need surgery then they really can't move. All of the bones are connected to muscles, so even though you aren't walking on your broken leg, every time you move your leg you move the muscles and that could move the bones and they could shift. Casting provides the best immobilization required to keep the bones where they are. I was "lucky" to only have to be in a short leg cast but now that I'm looking at surgery, I think I'll be in something after surgery that really immobilizes the leg to aide in healing. I guess I'll cross that bridge when I get to it. So many unknowns.

Definitely invest in a shower chair and a cast cover protector. I can't say for sure what recovery time looks like time wise because I honestly haven't started recovery. But my second OS doctor said that surgery is the easy part, recovery is the hard part. So based on that I think we are in this for the long haul. Time heals everything so we just have to be patient.

Keep us posted and good luck!
Annette
XOXO

Post a follow-up comment   Newer messages  |  Older messages 

Newbie: struggling with a broken leg and the cast itís been put in.  new
Stephen T  3:36pm Oct 19 2019
 Re: Newbie: struggling with a broken leg and the cast itís been put in.  new
missolmoreno  10:44pm Oct 19 2019
Stephen T  9:38am Oct 20 2019
Genez  12:55pm Oct 20 2019
Debbie_Co  10:15pm Oct 20 2019
Annette T  6:20am Oct 21 2019
Marina  2:48am Oct 24 2019

Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
www.MyBrokenLeg.com
19 November 2019