Home | Diaries | Discussion | Chat | Tips | FAQ | Links | Donations | Search | How to change your profile
www.MyBrokenLeg.com

List all messages  |  Search this forum  |  Log In 

Re: Newbie: struggling with a broken leg and the cast itís been put in.
Marina    2:48am Oct 24 2019

Hey Stephen,

Iím 27 and from California, I understand the pain your going through because I have broken both my legs. The right Tib/Fib 5/13/2017 and the left Tib/Fib 3/15/2019. So Iím becoming an expert at what to expect with a broken bone.

1. Surgery equals a faster recovery and and ability to bear weight sooner. The cast takes MUCH longer, but at least no surgery and no surgery to remove the hardware after the leg has healed. So depending on how soon you need to walk, weigh both options carefully.
2. Crutches are hard and a lot of people do not like to use them. While you are in the pain stage of a break Iíd recommend a walker. 100% easier and more stable then crutches. When the pain is gone transition to crutches, they are easier to maneuver around things and better suited for longer walking distances than a walker.
3. Instead of a shower chair, Iíd recommend a metal outdoor patio chair. All the shower chairs I bought were cheaply made and felt very unstable and a few did break/slip in the shower. A metal outdoor chair is sturdier and MUCH cheaper.
4. A garbage bag with duct tape around the opening works just as good as a cast cover
5. Swelling will go down, elevate and ice the break area when you can.
6. Sleeping will be difficult, invest in some good comfy pillows, you can never have too many pillows under your leg and around your leg when you break it.
7. Do not try to overly push yourself, setbacks do happen, and a fall or trying to weight Bear too soon can cause you too lose bone healing progress or cause a re-fracture
8. If you dislike your orthopedic doctor, find another one, never stick with a bad doctor who doesnít listen to you or your pain.
9. The hardest part of breaking your leg isnít physical, itís the mental and emotional depression that can set in after realizing you are no longer independent and must now sit in a bed for the next 6 plus weeks. Make sure to surround yourself with friends and family, try to get out whenever you can. If people offer to take you places in a wheelchair take advantage of their generosity.
10. Know you are not alone, you WILL walk again, and this situation is temporary. Take advantage of this downtime through guilt-free lazing around or learn a new language or skill to keep busy.

I hope your leg heals quickly,
Marina

5/13/2017 = Right Tibia and Fibula Plateau Fractures
6/7/2017 = Surgery to Insert Metal Plate and Screws
3/15/2019 = Left Tibia and Fibula Comminuted Fractures
3/18/2019 = Surgery to Insert IM Rod and Nails
9/4/2019 = Surgery to remove Nails

Post a follow-up comment   Newer messages  |  Older messages 

Newbie: struggling with a broken leg and the cast itís been put in.  new
Stephen T  3:36pm Oct 19 2019
 Re: Newbie: struggling with a broken leg and the cast itís been put in.  new
missolmoreno  10:44pm Oct 19 2019
Stephen T  9:38am Oct 20 2019
Genez  12:55pm Oct 20 2019
Debbie_Co  10:15pm Oct 20 2019
Annette T  6:20am Oct 21 2019
Marina  2:48am Oct 24 2019

Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
www.MyBrokenLeg.com
21 November 2019