Home | Diaries | Discussion | Chat | Tips | FAQ | Links | Donations | Search | How to change your profile
www.MyBrokenLeg.com

List all messages  |  Search this forum  |  Log In 

Appointment at fracture clinic this morning: fractures set in long leg cast.
Stephen T (145.255.240.---)   7:05am Oct 24 2019

Hi there - thank you for all the advice you have supplied me with so far itís been great. I thought Iíd let you all know the outcome of my appointment today at the hospital fracture clinic which has gone so-so I think.
I saw the Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon whoíll be overseeing my treatment who was very nice and easy to talk to and he helped me understand the nature of my breaks and his suggested treatment, my partner was with me also and we figured it would be an idea for her to scribble down some of the main points (Iíve been to appointments before where Iíve been overwhelmed with information and then forgotten most of it - i recommend anyone does this) so in no particular order of what was said and done today -
Breaks are spiral ones of both bones in my lower leg;
They had not shifted out of place in the temporary plaster;
An X-ray showed this;
He discussed what to do about them - as some of you have said it boils down to either putting a metal rod in to stabilise the breaks or giving them the chance to mend by setting them in a cast.
As one of you also said - how quickly do I want to heal and also when do I want to get back on my feet and play sport again?
He told me that as the bones were still in the position to heal then it was ok not to have an operation and to ďgive it a go at healing in a castĒ
My age was also positive to this ie Iím youngish and time is on my side I think is what he meant;
The cast bit - he told me that no metal rod means a big cast and he wasnít joking me either;
I had asked on here why my splint went all the way up my leg: he told me that my knee has to be set in the cast to stop the bones moving out of position.
The plaster room - hooked up to gas and air they removed my old temporary plaster splint and wrapped my leg in a bright orange cast, I sort of fell asleep I think during the plaster application and woke up staring at day-glow bright orange with my toes poking out at one end and my shorts rolled up at the top end as it stops at the very top end of my thigh.
The consultant- he supervised the cast application and saw me before I was allowed home: 6 weeks in this cast then a cast change and 4-6 more long weeks in the same type of cast. Finally a boot walker for a month.
Thatís the football season written off and a fairly long time of managing with my leg set rigid in a cast for.
Any thoughts on this? Iím freaking out a little by the cast (the difference between this and the splint - a nurse who applied it said it would feel like my leg is in a vice and she wasnít joking), and also the length of time.

Post a follow-up comment   Newer messages  |  Older messages 

Appointment at fracture clinic this morning: fractures set in long leg cast.  new
Stephen T  7:05am Oct 24 2019
 Re: Appointment at fracture clinic this morning: fractures set in long leg cast.  new
Annette T  8:45am Oct 24 2019
 Re: Appointment at fracture clinic this morning: fractures set in long leg cast.  new
Stephen T  9:58am Oct 24 2019
Annette T  10:15am Oct 24 2019
Embonious  4:38am Oct 25 2019

Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
www.MyBrokenLeg.com
21 November 2019