Home | Diaries | Discussion | Chat | Tips | FAQ | Links | Donations | Search | How to change your profile
www.MyBrokenLeg.com

List all messages  |  Search this forum  |  Log In 

Fracture clinic epic fail, manipulation, back slab, night in hospital
Stephen T    5:56am Dec 6 2019

Hi - I had what I assumed was a standard appointment today at the fracture clinic, and I guess on reflection I maybe should have know better than to expect a normal appointment.
I had the X-ray which is standard and saw the consultant which is also standard for my visits to the clinic.
What wasnít standard was my consult with the consultant.
While Iíve been writing to you guys and saying I wondered if any healing was going on underneath the plaster well...
Turns out that not only is there no healing happening the end of my tibia and fibula bones had slipped out of alignment for healing. He showed me the X-ray and even I could see it. The option was either to call it quits and operate or manipulate them back into place. With his guidance I chose the latter: he told me that they will heal in plaster and that because there isnít any bone growth yet then manipulating the bone wonít disturb any healing.
I waited until they had found me a bed as I need to stay in overnight due to the sedative they gave me and also to check tomorrow that the bones were still in position.
The manipulation wasnít too bad - I did feel pain momentarily (the doctor pulled at my ankle and foot to align the breaks) but itís passed quickly from what I remember.
Iím in a back slab as the consultant thinks I may get some swelling from the manipulation, itís from the bast of my toes to my hip as all the previous casts Iíve been in have.
I can go home tomorrow assuming the breaks are aligned (they were on the X-ray taken afterwards).
I sense the pain is going to breakthrough soon but Iíve still got the IV line in place from the manipulation so they can give pain relief if needed.
Iím not entirely sure what to make of this. Iím getting more and irritated- not at the consultant or hospital staff but at my leg refusing to heal itself!!
On a lighter note (Iím trying to find a positive from this) I had about 2 mins today when I had NO CAST ON!! Getting some air at it felt great and I managed to scratch my thigh where itís been itching for days.
Small victories...

Post a follow-up comment   Newer messages  |  Older messages 

Fracture clinic epic fail, manipulation, back slab, night in hospital  new
Stephen T  5:56am Dec 6 2019
 Re: Fracture clinic epic fail, manipulation, back slab, night in hospital  new
AW  6:25am Dec 6 2019
Hannah L  12:48pm Dec 6 2019
Stephen T  1:07am Dec 7 2019
Hannah L  11:58pm Dec 7 2019

Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
www.MyBrokenLeg.com
29 January 2020