Home | Diaries | Discussion | Chat | Tips | FAQ | Links | Donations | Search | How to change your profile
www.MyBrokenLeg.com

List all messages  |  Search this forum  |  Log In 

Re: Questions for the Experienced; February in Maine
Megan_K    5:46am Feb 24 2020

Hi Kim,
You are about 1 month behind me. Sounds like we had the same mechanism of injury (I also slipped on ice!).
The first several weeks were very difficult mentally. I cried a lot, not due to pain, but because of my current situation (not leaving the house, spending most of my day in a recliner). Initially I read a lot, but then became bored. I decided to try cross-stitching! I ordered a very involved pattern and supplies from Amazon (a map of the United States) and got to work a day later. I like to listen to podcasts while I stitch. The joke has now become, what will happen quicker: broken bone healed or U.S. map completed?
I also said "yes!!" to anyone that offered help or a visit. When they showed up, I was not shy about what I might need that day, which was often just conversation.
My doctor told me no physical therapy for 6 weeks. I was in a plaster cast for the first 2 weeks, then transitioned to a removable boot. During the 6 weeks of non-weight bearing, I only did active range of motion exercises twice a day, when I had my boot off. My motion was very restricted but I tried to do ankle circles, ankle flex and extend and toe scrunches. I would massage my leg at night while lying in bed.
Last week I saw my doctor again and the x-ray showed the bone is healing well! I was given the okay to start weaning off crutches and weight bearing while wearing my boot. I have had 2 PT sessions so far and they are working me hard!
I have not been driving for the last few months but the hope is I will start soon!
I really feel the emotional part of a broken leg is more difficult than the physical pain/discomfort. Try to keep your mind distracted, rest a lot (healing takes a lot of energy), and don't overdo it! Once you start PT, you will be busy.
I was very tired the first several weeks, that has improved in the last 2 weeks.
My leg swells and becomes discolored when I am up too long; this has helped to keep me from overdoing it.

Megan Kelly
tib/fib fracture with spiral into posterior ankle malleolus-12/31/2019
IM nail, plate and 7 screws-1/1/2020
Cam walker boot-2/18/2020
out of boot,ankle brace-3/19/2020

Post a follow-up comment   Newer messages  |  Older messages 

Questions for the Experienced; February in Maine  new
KimfromMaine  5:00am Feb 22 2020
 Re: Questions for the Experienced; February in Maine  new
SMM  9:57pm Feb 22 2020
KimfromMaine  4:59am Feb 23 2020
Megan_K  5:46am Feb 24 2020
KimfromMaine  7:01am Feb 24 2020
Megan_K  8:06am Feb 24 2020
KimfromMaine  5:22pm Feb 25 2020

Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
www.MyBrokenLeg.com
7 April 2020