Home | Diaries | Discussion | Chat | Tips | FAQ | Links | Donations | Search | How to change your profile
www.MyBrokenLeg.com

List all messages  |  Search this forum  |  Log In 

Malaligned Medial Tibial Plateau
Cynthia Koklas (108.59.17.---)   10:54am Oct 25 2016

I had a class IV medial tibial condyle fracture in March 2016 and my situation is unusual in that the Orthopedic surgeon opted to wait three weeks to do surgery although a followup exray one week after the accident showed slippage. He did mention that he might replace my brace with an angled splint if the one week followup exray showed it was still displaced. He did not do this so I assumed the fracture was properly aligned. It wasn't until the third week followup when I was still experiencing pain at the fracture site that the Surgeon decided I would need open reduction surgery which he performed two days later. Unfortunately, during the three weeks before my surgery the fracture had begun to heal and as a result the surgeon could only pull it 50% over in attempting to align it. I have read forum after forum, blog after blog, and I've not encountered anyone as of yet that has had a similar experience and would like to know how this affects recovery time and functionality compared to someone with an aligned tibial plateau following open reduction. I must admit that I am doing pretty well at the 6 month mark with only needing a cane to make it up a steep incline but I have tightness upon first standing, and sporadic tolerable pain not only in the area of the fracture but also and more often in areas of the knee, thigh, and calf on the lateral side of my leg. I am hoping to connect with someone on this site that has had a similar experience to get a better idea of the long term prognosis. When I asked, the doctor did confirm that the malalignment increased the chances for developing osteoarthritis and subsequent knee replacement would be necessary within the next 10 years due to the wearing away of knee cartlidge from the bone rubbing against. I am expecially anxious to find out if some of the uncomfortable pressure and pain twinges I'm feeling on the right front and side of my calf (where my tibia is pushing on the fibula) will subside at some point and if I can expect a different outcome at the one year mark compared to someone with an aligned tibial plateau.

Cynthia Koklas

Post a follow-up comment   Newer messages  |  Older messages 

Malaligned Medial Tibial Plateau  new
Cynthia Koklas  10:54am Oct 25 2016

Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
www.MyBrokenLeg.com
23 March 2017