Home | Diaries | Discussion | Chat | Tips | FAQ | Links | Donations | Search | How to change your profile
www.MyBrokenLeg.com

List all messages  |  Search this forum  |  Log In 

Hip Fracture
Ernie (155.178.180.---)   1:08pm Jul 3 2017

I'm so glad I found this site, thank you Paul! It's been an up and down 2.5 months since I fractured my right hip (intertrochanteric) running the Boston Marathon. I have 2 big screws and 4 screws to hold up the plate that put my right hip back together again. When I googled hip fractures, most of the articles that come up are hip fractures experienced by the eldelry, I'm getting there but not quite (53 years young!). I'm hoping we have some "hip-sters" in this site so we can exchange war stories. As you can imagine my daily frustration of not being able to fully walk normally yet or do some form of exercise that raises my heart rate to the levels I was used to prior to the injury. I played a lot of "what-if" games in my head during the first month after surgery and I'm trying to stop doing that cause it just causes me to be depressed and be down on myself. One thing I learned is to always have hope and know this too shall pass. I am a very impatient man and I guess this injury and rehab have really put things in perspective for me. I'm sure y'all have experienced w/ your own injury and rehab how humbling it is to all of a sudden be reliant on someone else. I don't have much pain in my hip but since I was non-weight bearing for 8 weeks, my right knee and lower leg have these phantom "dull" pain I experience especially at night which in turn makes me toss and turn in bed all night long. I told my doctor I am not going to take any prescription drugs for pain since I didn't want to be addicted to it. I often take OTC drugs but they don't seem to help at all so I've stopped taking them too. Fortunately for me, my health insurance offers alternative medicine so I am going to try acupuncture . I'll let you guys know how that goes. Thats all for me right now. Thanks everyone for all your stories and experiences, it does really help to know, we're not the only one in this planet going through the physical and mental pain and anguish when going through the rehab process of our injuries. The best thing though is hearing the tips, tricks, and hacks of what worked to get you through these difficult times and finally making it through and becoming an overcomer!

Post a follow-up comment   Newer messages  |  Older messages 

Hip Fracture  new
Ernie  1:08pm Jul 3 2017
 Re: Hip Fracture  new
Sofi  8:56pm Aug 5 2017

Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
www.MyBrokenLeg.com
23 November 2017